Over 20 dead, 80 wounded in Youm-al-Quds rally suicide attack
QUETTA: More than 20 people were killed and over 80 injured in a suicide attack targeting Youm-al-Quds rally at Meezan chowk in Quetta, Geo News reported Friday.
Geo News cameraman Imran Mukhtar has also been injured, correspondent Salman Ashraf told anchorperson.
IG Balochistan, Malik Mohammad Iqbal confirmed Geo News that the blast was a suicide attack. IG also said that the police have earlier tried to stop the rally from going towards Meezan chowk citing security concerns but the participants refused to follow the instructions.
He was of the view that they had some intelligence reports about any untoward incidence and that is why the rally was requested to follow the planned route but they refused to do so.
Television pictures showed smoke billowing into the air on a chaotic street with people fleeing and others lying prone next to motorcycles, taking cover from gunfire.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik Thursday said Shiites are easy targets for the terrorists and advised them to avoid participating in processions.
“I had already warned that a conspiracy has been hatched to trigger Shi-Sunni clash,” he said.
source geo news